on
Book reviews
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
google.com, pub-8647533824058521, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
"Beyond Reasonable" is a gripping psychological legal thriller that made me hooked throughout the book. I was engrossed by the little but effective gestures made by lawyers to convey their angle of truth. It may be correct or incorrect, depending upon who they want to protect or harm.
The main character is Sloane Mercer, a demure lawyer who is secretly judged by the client in the courtroom. He is a wealthy, highly influential businessman, Callum Reeve. He walks into her office and asks her to represent him in a murder case where she would be the lead. This action makes his stakes on the case enormous.
I was hooked from the beginning with Sloane. The way she looks between gaps and reasons out the minutest details and depicts her actions manipulatively is awesome. Callum carried himself with a quiet confidence that made every scene involving him interesting. The more I read, the more curious I became about him and his role in the story.
The murder investigation was equally engaging. One thing I particularly appreciated was how the legal aspects were handled. Legal thrillers can sometimes become too technical or, on the other hand, feel unrealistic because they avoid the legal details altogether.
This book found the right balance. The courtroom scenes, evidence, and legal procedures felt important to the plot without becoming overwhelming.The way Sloane processed doubt, betrayal, emotional exhaustion, and moral conflict while trying to remain professional made her one of the strongest characters in the book.
Tanya T. Bist meticulously portrays the legal details and restraint. The courtroom scenes never feel overdramatic or unrealistic. The lawyers think about every little action and then react. The writing is intelligent, layered, emotionally heavy, and psychologically real.
I was intrigued to know that the killer is quite compact. But all the proofs were against Callum. The way Sloane and Callum absorb the situation and help each other in knowing the truth is commendable.
Overall, it is an adroit read.
Purchase here.
#Bookishlife2022_ #OpinionMatters
Comments
Post a Comment
Please do share your opinion and provide your feedback.